If you’ve been seriously injured in an accident, hiring a personal injury attorney may be helpful to deal with your claim. But, you may still be unsure what exactly personal injury attorneys do. It is common for personal injury attorneys to help you obtain compensation for your injuries following a car accident. But, many personal injury attorneys can help with more than just that. Grand Rapids personal injury lawyers cover various practice areas that are categorized under personal injury law. This guide will provide you with useful information to determine whether you should hire an attorney for your injuries.
Protecting Your Rights
Personal injury attorneys can keep your rights protected by helping you receive compensation for your injuries. If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, a fall, or from some other occurrence, your recovery should be your number one priority. As you direct your attention to seeking medical treatment and other care, a personal injury attorney will help keep your legal rights protected.
You can expect all of the following to occur as your personal injury case moves forward:
- As your medical expenses begin to accumulate, the hospitals will want to know your plan for payment.
- If you were involved in an auto accident, law enforcement will want answers from you as well.
- You will have to provide a statement to your insurance company upon request. They will want to know whether you owe PIP benefits or if the other parties involved are liable.
- The other party’s insurance company will also want to contact you to find out your side of the story so they can try and get away without paying you a dime.
- If you were injured after falling onto someone else’s property, the other insurance company will want your side of the story.
- If you were injured while at work, the HR department and all managers will have several questions for you to answer net worth.
Discussing Your Accident
While these are all issues you feel you may be able to deal with on your own, you can become easily overwhelmed. This is where a personal injury attorney comes in. He will be able to intervene for you and act as your legal representative. Instead of the insurance companies and medical staff coming after you, they will be forced to communicate with your attorney instead.
Once you hire a personal injury attorney, they will discuss your rights with you and talk about your accident. If you’ve been injured by another person, you may be eligible to receive compensation for any losses and injuries you endured. Personal injury attorneys can discuss all steps involved in the process in order to obtain a settlement. If the insurance company refuses to settle for compensation that is fair, your lawyer can escalate the matter to court.
Remember, your version of the story is all that your attorney has to work with as they navigate to keep your legal rights protected. Your attorney will ask questions as they listen to your side of the accident. They will question you about your pain, injuries, recovery, insurance, disabilities, and other pertinent information that can help your claim.
For instance, if you were injured following a car accident while sitting at an intersection, your attorney will want to know about the speed limits, traffic signals, traffic signs, and other information that may have contributed to your accident. If you’ve been injured after falling, your attorney will need to know all circumstances leading up to your fall including obstructions, lighting, the type of shoes you had on, and any other useful information that can help you.